Thursday, June 2, 2011

About Sharing


Like all things that we collect and cherish, omamori should be kept in a safe location. Dry, not too hot, not too cold. I keep mine in bead boxes that I purchased at a craft store. Some of my omamori have stayed in their plastic bags with their original paper labels.

I think it's best to organize omamori geographically because an omamori's origin is a crucial part of its identity. Whether it be a fox-shaped charm from an inari shrine or a certain kamon design, these symbols reflect the location and its history. Omamori are not just jewelry, but souvenirs. For some, memories from a pilgrimage.

I'm looking forward to the day when I finish my display case and arrange all of them so that guests at my house can see all of them with ease. I think sharing is also an important part of omamori collecting. Most people in the U.S. have never seen anything like them, and unless you share, they never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment